Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Top 100 Songs of the Aughties, 50 - 41

Wassup Hepcats!
And we're back! We'll be getting to number one on our countdown of the Best Rock Songs 2000 - 2009 by the end of next week. In case you missed the previous fifty:
60-51       70-61     80-71     90-81     100-91

So let's begin again.
50. "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance" - Black Kids (Partie Traumatic, 2008). 2008 was unofficially the year rockers began writing songs about dancing. Why? No one wants to see hipsters dance. Not even to Los Campesinos! songs. I don't think you can dance to this song anyway, but it's catchy.


49. "Nth Degree" - Morningwood (Morningwood, 2006) The first time I heard this song, I thought it was new Liz Phair song, because Liz was set to release a new album soon. I got really excited, because it the a logical next move for her - big, poppy, dancey. After about the tenth time I heard it, the DJ on WFNX finally said the name and artist. Oh well. And Liz's album ended up being terrible, thought the song about drinking was good.

48. "Bag of Hammers" -Thao Nguyen & The Get Down Stay Down (We Brave Bee Stings and All, 2008). There are some songs that will always make you sway in your seat, smiling. This is one. And as a bonus, as your smile is at its widest, she sings, "Like a lick of ice cream!" Perfect.


47. "C'mon C'mon" - The Von Bondies (Pawn Shoppe Heart, 2004) Time is cruel. When this song came out, I thought it was the best straight ahead rock song I'd heard in a long time, and The Von Bondies were a band that could challenge for Hepster Supremacy. Now, six years later, all anyone remembers about the Von Bondies is that Jack White beat up their lead singer, and this song has been ruined by making me think of Denis Leary every time I hear it. "A" for effort though.

46. "Nowhere Again" - The Secret Machines (Now Here is Nowhere, 2004) The Secret Machines are one of those bands (Sloan, Wolf Parade) where they have two or three good songs and a bunch of awful ones, but the good ones are REALLY good. And we here at AH always appreciate any song with "She's lifting her dress up" as a refrain.

45. "I Envy the Wind" - Lucinda Williams (Essence, 2001) This should probably be higher. I've just heard it too much (due to prime placement on me and Mrs. Hepster's wedding CD). I'd put this song's lyrics up against any other love song ever written. Some may be as good, but none of them are better.

44. "Sorry Sorry" - Rooney (Rooney, 2003) If they ever did a music festival with bands who took their names from 80's movies, well, that would be a really shitty festival. Rooney would be good, though. This is an anthem for all of us who used to be dickheads.

43. "All My Friends" - LCD Soundsystem (Sound of Silver, 2007) You know me, hepcats, I'm not big on the whole techno thing. I went through a phase in college where I owned multiple records by The Orb, but I used to do drugs back then. But this here is a fantastic tune, about looking around and realizing your youth is gone. We've all been the last one at a party, haven't we?

42. "The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret" - Queens of the Stone Age (Rated R, 2000) The greatest trick Craig Kilborn ever played on the world was convincing it that he wasn't the lead singer for Queens of the Stone Age. Don't tell anyone.


41. "Take it Easy (Love Nothing)" - Bright Eyes (Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, 2005) The bachelor's creed, from the underrated "Digital Ash" album. This song perfectly describes my late twenties, and came out three weeks after I met Mrs. Hepster.  More on that once we get closer to the top ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment