Saturday, December 5, 2009

Top 100 Songs of the Aughties, 40-31

Wassup Hepcats!
And down the stretch we come!
Previously: 50-41

First, here's a picture of a pie. Just cuz I like you.



40. "Molly's Chambers" - Kings of Leon (Youth and Young Manhood, 2003). You may remember this tune from a Volkswagen ad. I used to remember it from the time I bought the CD at Newbury Comics in Providence Place, and walked through Downcity listening to it on the first nice spring day since I'd moved to Rhode Island. Now I remember it because I asked our wedding DJ to play it, and as he was downloading it a few days before the wedding, he was like, "Are you sure? Is this a song from college or something?" Hell yeah, I was sure. How could you not dance to this? Cut to: me and the newly crowned Mrs. Hepster, dancing to this, alone, after it cleared out the dance floor. The lesson: trust your DJ. Fuck it, though. I'm still right.

39. "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb" - Spoon (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, 2007). You know what you're getting with a Spoon song. It's gonna have a tight little rhythm, somewhat obtuse lyrics, and be a pretty decent song. Well, here, they added horns and handclaps, and goddamn if didn't turn this tune into gold. Gold I tell ya.


38. "Hysteric" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (It's Blitz!, 2009) After their second album, I posited that YYY's were following the Radiohead career path, and predicted that the third record would be of OK Computer  magnitude. It's Blitz!  was a very good record, though not the great leap forward I was expecting. But how can you hold it against them when it contains something as beautiful as this?

37. "Jesus, Etc." - Wilco (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, 2002) AKA the song that predicted 9/11. Listening to this song afterward was like watching "The Wizard of Oz" with Dark Side of the Moon, you knew there was no way it was on purpose, but it was still fucking spooky. Tall buildings shake, voices escape singing sad sad songs. Dammit.

36. "1234" - Feist (The Reminder, 2007) I shouldn't have to apologize for this, so I'm not going to. Fingersnaps, handclaps, French horn, giant melodies, and "whoah-oh-oh"s. Sometimes songs become popular because they're really awesome. We didn't understand that when we were 23, but now we do. Right?

35. "The Middle" - Jimmy Eat World (Jimmy Eat World, 2001) One drunken night, I called this the "Pour Some Sugar on Me" for the new millenium. Maybe it isn't as good for strippers to dance to, but, seriously, is there a more fun song to sing along to? And BTW, this album was originally called Bleed American, which is an awesome album title, but was reissued as Jimmy Eat World, after 9/11. Because we were really sensitive and stupid back then.

34. "Our Love" - Rhett Miller (The Instigator, 2002) A song that canonizes the extramarital affairs of Richard Wagner and Franz Kafka shouldn't be this rousing. It should be boring and pretentious. Well done on this score, Rhett Miller.

33. "(Antichrist Television Blues)" - Arcade Fire (Neon Bible, 2007) Well, whether or not it's about Jessica Simpson's dad or not (it totally is), it's kind of a chilling song, even without the echoes of 9/11 in there. (Jesus, 9/11 three times in this one post? I swear this was not on purpose.) The narrator's pleading with god to send him a child "so the world can see what your true word means" sounds like something the terrorists would say. Or a pervy stage dad who talks about his daughter's double D's.


32. "Welcome to the Black Parade" - My Chemical Romance (The Black Parade, 2006) OK, Hepcats, sometimes I'm wrong. This album was released to the throwing of garlands and hosannahs like "Album of the Decade!" Really? My Chemical Romance? Don't they play shows at, like, Hot Topic or something? It only took one listen to this tune to send me right to LimeWire my nearest independent record store. Love this. Love the prog-ish song structure, love the multi-tracked choruses, love the martial beat. And so the Queen-ing of the decade began, something I am totally in favor of, by the way. Love Queen.

31. "Oh Mandy" - The Spinto Band (Nice and Nicely Done, 2005) Aw hell, just watch this video and tell me this isn't awesome x 1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment