Monday, December 7, 2009

Top 100 Songs of the Aughties, 21-11

Wassup Hepcats!
A quick note on the  last post, 30-21. The MGMT video for "Kids" that I posted wasn't the official one obviously, and I did some research on it. Turns out it was a project for USC Film School, and the people with the facepaint were friends of the director. ANYWAY when you look at the comments on YouTube, it turns out people are obsessed with the girl. Which I kinda get, she's cute for a someone who's face you can't see, but folks are losing it. Like, scary obsessed. Like, "I'm gonna kidnap her" obsessed.
People are weird.
Almost there!
20. "Tear You Apart" - She Wants Revenge (She Wants Revenge, 2006) There's a part of me that's convinced that is a bad song. And that guy's accent is probably fake. But I'm naming it Official Song of Sophomore Year Hookups. Followed about three months later with...

19. "Sometime Around Midnight" - The Airborne Toxic Event (The Airborne Toxic Event, 2008) ...the Official Song for A Night Out Getting Drunk And Running Into That Bitch With Some Douchebag Who Probably Thinks He's So Cool But Totally Isn't.


18. "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" - Death Cab for Cutie (Plans, 2005) A beautiful love song/renunciation of organized religion, this is on the short list of me and Mrs. Hepster's "songs". There was an amazing unofficial video for this, with animated rabbits and what not, and it used to make me all dusty. But it seems to be gone now. I don't know who is to blame, but in protest I'm putting a clip from "Alf" here instead. Assholes.


17. "Walcott" - Vampire Weekend (Vampire Weekend, 2008) Can you like Vampire Weekend and hate "world music"? I guess, cause that's me on both fronts. Although this song sounds more like Jerry Lee Lewis than Youssou N'Dour. It makes me want to jump up and down very rapidly. Up! Down! Awesome!

16. "Hey Ya!" - OutKast (The Love Below, 2003) This probably would have made it if it was just one lyric: "Lend me some sugar! I am your neighbor!" How did a hip hop group make one of the greatest pop tunes ever?

15. "Evil" - Interpol (Antics, 2004) I used to work at a job where on occasion I would have to call a co-worker named Rosemary. And EVERY SINGLE TIME she answered the phone, I wanted to start singing this song. I never met Rosemary in person, but she seemed like she was in her fifties, and thus it was doubtful that she was an Interpol fan. Unless she was a Really Aging Hepster. So she would have been wondering why this punk from Group Sales was singing that heaven would restore her in life. Man. I so should have done that. Also, "weightless/semi-erotic" was my Friendster status for two years, back when Friendster existed for non-Filipinos.


14. "Wake Up" - Arcade Fire (Funeral, 2004) I knew someday I would hear this song in a movie trailer. My plan was to somehow get a job scoring movie trailers, before someone beat me to the punch. Plan: unsuccessful.

13. "Mr. Brightside" - The Killers (Hot Fuss, 2004) Fun fact: I actually wrote down all the lyrics to this song in a notebook because I was trying to memorize them. Second fun fact: I was twenty-eight at the time. In my defense, I was recovering from getting hit by a truck. Also: totally memorized them.

12. "Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand (Franz Ferdinand, 2004) Jesus Christ, what the hell was happening in 2004? That's four in a row. "Take Me Out" is what I call a "Janet Leigh" song, where it starts out as one song (like "Psycho" starts out as a movie about Janet Leigh stealing money) and then turns into a completely different, way better song. This was a great album, but the follow up was disappointing, and I think I actively hate the most recent one.



11. "To The Dogs or Whoever" -Josh Ritter  (The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter, 2007) I've never seen Josh Ritter live, but I bet when he plays this, everyone in the crowd sings the line "Did I mention how I love you in your underwear?" really loud. That would be cool. Have to check that out sometime.


Okay, Hepcats, just one more in this dog and pony show, and then we'll move on to another list. Because I don't want to have think of any new topics before the New Year. What with the holidays and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment