Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Comedy is Funny!

Wassup Hepcats!
So we're big fans of the comedy here at AH. We do enjoy the laffs.
Sunday night I had the pleasure of viewing Aziz Ansari's new comedy/laffs special, "Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening". I watched the Secret Stash version that aired later on Comedy Central, so as not to miss any dick jokes that were integral to the plot.
I must tell you, hepcats, I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. I as afraid I was gonna wake up Mrs. Hepster and the twinnies. Here's a clip (hint: click on the thing that says "video"):



It got me to thinking about other comedy specials I've enjoyed in recent years.
What follows is in no way definitive, just some talented individuals who brought the ha-ha's with a great degree of regularity.

In the order I thought of them:

MITCH HEDBERG




First caught him on a Comedy Central half hour special on at 10 in the morning during The Bad Time (i.e. 2003-4). I loved it, and it takes a lot to make me laugh at 10 in the morning. I know we tend to lionize the dead in this day and age, but this guy really was special. Comparisons to Steven Wright aren't too far off, but Hedberg was little more out there.

A FAVORITE JOKE/BIT: Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load shit into a truck.


MIKE BIRBIGLIA

Jokes.com
Mike Birbiglia - Celebrity Golf Tournament
comedians.comedycentral.com

Joke of the Day
Stand-Up Comedy
Free Online Games

Birbiglia is one of those comedians who "tells stories" instead of "making jokes". In spite of this, he's still really fucking funny. He's on "This American Life" a lot, which is good, because he makes up for the fact that they forgot that David Sedaris hasn't been funny in 10 years.

A FAVORITE JOKE/BIT: "I know, I'm in the future also" is hard to top. I've been trying to rip that off in regular conversation for years. I also love this: When I go to bed at night, it's like a different human being that enters my body for the night shift. I call my guy Sleepy Carl -- that's my guy. And he's a terrible employee, but he's a great dude. He's always slobbering on my pillow and muttering about Vietnam, but then he'll try to talk me out of waking up with his great plans. He'll be like, 'Why would you go out there when you could stay here and ride on a ferris wheel made of pizza?'












He's like a big movie star and stuff now, but for us comedy nerds Patton will always be the guy who turned us on to "Death Bed: The Bed That Eats People".

A FAVORITE JOKE/BIT:  I'm not gonna print the whole thing here, it doesn't translate well to print. But it involves the phrase "I"m gonna fill your hoo-hah with goof juice", and is the best commentary on corporate television hypocrisy ever.
Oh, fine, here:



That's all for now, Hepcats, we'll have to do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment